The Individual Online

Monday, August 30, 2004

HERE COME THE REPUBLICANS

Ok, so this post won’t just simply be about the Republicans, but it will definitely include things about them. We have to learn to listen to people and not just hearing the words, but understanding and questioning them. Somewhere along the way, Americans as a people have forgotten how to do this. I hardly say I’m perfect when it comes to this. I used to be an excellent listener, but somewhere between listening to a bunch of people complain about their problems and listening to customers complain about theirs, I lost my ability to listen. Most times people just go through the motions of listening to ensure that they get to speak their point, or interrupt another person to get their point across. It’s sad that as a people we don’t listen to our different sides and other countries. Republicans and Democrats just vote for whatever their party is for, even if it’s not in the best interests of the American public.
An example of how we don’t listen to the world: The Kyoto Protocal
When a hundred plus nations sign a treaty to combat global warming you sign it. Or as Lewis Black says “YOU SIGN THE TREATY ASSHOLE. YOU CAN DECIDE WHETHER TO FOLLOW IT AFTERWARDS, BUT YOU SIGN IT!”
When did we become so belligerent towards one another that we can’t listen to others? I don’t know, but it’s amazing how divided our country is over this election. This is going to be the most important election of our lives. I truly feel that whomever wins this election will shape the America that we will have to live with. Whether that is progressive, or regressive has yet to be decided. I tend to think that this is a crossroads for America. We can continue on the path of destruction that the Republicans have set a course for, abandoning our allies and the United Nations, or we can rebuild what we have broken while taking on terrorism on a more united front. I know I sound pessimistic, but I truly believe that this election could be the start of the decline of America, or hopefully a beginning of something that has the possibility of being special. This should be the year that the public starts to take back our government.
Jackson and I have mentioned how we think that America will eventually split into smaller states. Kamal has often mentioned how America parallels the Roman Empire before its downfall. Large republic, corrupt officials, larger class discrepancies. I know I’m probably going a little overboard saying what I just said, but I tend to look at things in a historical context, and those that don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I don’t want America to split up or fall apart, rather my purpose is to get people thinking so they can make their own opinions. This can happen, no superpower lasts forever…see Roman Empire, British Empire, Soviet Union, etc. for details. We can learn from the past and make a nation great again. Alright guys, please comment!
H

1 Comments:

  • I can think of another Empire you forgot to mention...young skywalker...

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home